Holidays—with lots of food, fun, and, often, sitting around—always add an extra challenge to our fitness goals. With Memorial Day just a few days away, I thought I’d give you a few tips to not undoing all your hard work.
- Fill half your plate with fruits and veggies, a quarter of your plate with protein, and a quarter with carbs. Yes, even pasta salad is fine. I want you to be healthy, but not feel totally deprived.
- Exercise. This doesn’t need to be a regular workout, but your body needs to move. Go for a walk, do some jumping jacks while you’re watching the morning news, hold a squat while you’re brushing your teeth, and do a few pushups before you head out the door. I promise all those little activities will make a big difference!
- Don’t drink your calories. I’m sure you’re tired of hearing this, but it’s true. You can easily down over 500 calories in a medium coffee drink if you’re not careful. Keep it simple with water, unsweetened iced tea, and plain coffee as often as possible. If you are going to drink some calories, just pay attention and don’t let a 100-calorie light beer turn into a 1,000-calorie jumbo cocktail.
- Don’t skip meals. People often decide to skip breakfast and lunch when they know they’ll be eating a big dinner, but this almost always backfires. If you eat a normal breakfast and lunch, you’ll be less likely to overindulge at dinner.
- Have fun! Stress can ruin your goals as much as anything else, so don’t stress if you have a few too many desserts and miss your morning walk. It’s just one day, and you can get back on track tomorrow.
Want even more tips for getting and staying in great shape? Fast Fitness to Go’s membership area has everything you need to get a healthy, tight, energetic body. Click here to find out more and sign up!