This is Part 3 in the Healthy Eating Series for busy traveling professionals. If you missed Part 1 or 2 (Healthy Eating on the Highway and Healthy Eating During Client Dinners), get them here and here. This week’s focus is on eating well when you’re at a networking event.
It’s easy to walk into a networking event and head straight for the bar for a drink and then right on over to the food table for some snacks. And when those delicious appetizers are being walked around the room, how can you possibly say no? Keep reading and I’ll teach you how to navigate networking events like a pro!
- Remember why you’re there: to NETWORK!
- Never have a plate and a drink in your hands at the same time—pick one. You can’t shake someone’s hand if both of yours are full.
- If you’re hungry and need some food, go for the veggies first. Fill up your plate with any veggies you can find and commit to eating them all before going back for seconds.
- If you decide that you need more food, go for lean protein. Shrimp, fish, chicken, and beef are all fine choices. Just stay away from anything deep-fried.
- Don’t even think about heading for the cheese or bread. Both options are not only high in calories, but will make you want to eat more. Yes, they taste great, but now’s not the time.
- Now that you have something in your stomach, you may want to grab a drink. Water’s always your best bet, but if you want something else grab a glass of wine, a light beer, or a vodka and soda (remember from Part 2, no Coke or 7-Up here) with some slices of lemon or lime.
Remember that your brain will be more alert if you’re well nourished. Those pigs in a blanket aren’t going to help you impress your boss or your clients. Also remember that each thing you put in your mouth is a new choice. If you grab some cheese and a big hunk of bread, you’re not suddenly doomed for the entire night. Just grab some veggies next time you pass by the table.
Want more tips for enjoying your life while getting in amazing shape? Fast Fitness to Go’s membership area has everything you need—from motivation to nutrition to full-body workouts—to get tight and toned while still having a life. Click here to find out more and sign up!