Most of us spend way too much time in front of a computer. Several studies have shown that sitting for prolonged periods is a detriment to our overall health and can lead to a wide range of problems, from a sore back to high blood pressure. Even if you exercise every day, you’re at risk for having health issues later in life if you spend most of your day sitting. To minimize the damage to your body, set a timer to go off every 30 minutes. When the alarm goes off, take a quick break and do one of the following exercises.
- Glute sweeps (Stand on one leg, lift the other leg a few inches off the ground, and point that toe straight in front of you. Sweep your lifted leg around to the side and behind you until you feel your glutes contract. Repeat 10 times and then switch legs.)
- Triceps dips (Place your hands on the front of your chair with your fingers off the edge and scoot your butt off the edge of the chair. Bend your elbows straight behind you and lower your butt. You should really feel this in the back of your arms. Lift one leg to make it harder. Do 10 reps.)
- Standing obliques (Stand with your hands behind your head. Pull your belly button in towards your spine as you bring your right elbow and left knee together. Alternate sides for a total of 10 reps per side.)
- Neck stretch (Stand up and bring your right ear towards your right shoulder. Keep both shoulders down. You should feel a nice stretch down the side of your neck. Repeat on your left side and then, continuing to keep your shoulders down, bring your chin to your chest to stretch the back of your neck. Hold each position for 10 seconds.)
- Side stretch (Stand up and reach your right arm up and over your head as you lean to the left. You should feel a stretch along your right side. Hold for 30 seconds, then repeat on the left side.)
- Chest stretch (Stand up and, keeping your shoulders down, lift both arms straight out to the side then press your arms back, palms facing behind you.)
Want even more equipment-free exercises? Fast Fitness to Go’s membership area has over 50 full-body workout videos that you can do anytime, anywhere. The workouts are challenging, but take less than 25 minutes to complete and will have you tight and toned in no time. Click here to find out more and sign up!